Toxicity is a game mechanic influenced by ambient weather and decaying food.
AppearancesCertain conditions may cause the Toxicity Meter on the game HUD to climb or spike, such as:
- Moving through or residing in a polluted territory
- Consuming polluted water or food
A polluted source of food or water will be found a deep and faintly glowing purple hue, and plants will have purple dots as well; consuming said food source will result in a spike in the Toxicity Meter. The Toxicity Meter, located near the bottom right corner of the screen, will appear only once a change in Toxicity has occurred and will disappear once it detects it is no longer occuring or losing toxicity. Polluted areas will cause a steady increase in Toxicity.
If the Toxicity Meter is allowed to fill to its maximum of 100%, the Life bar will begin to decrease much like the effect of starving.
To slow this loss of life or prevent it entirely, one may:
- Consume Bottled Water, Pet Medicine, Pet Food, Portable Bed(s) or Magazine(s)
- Sleep in a nest or mate
- Consume clean water or food
- Wear the Gas Mask item to combat ambient pollution
- Wear the Garbage Bag to nullify toxic food's effects (but this will speed up toxicity as a whole, and will continue this in clean areas.)